Saturday, August 13, 2011

My Best Canned Salsa Recipe Revealed!

Years ago I tried a salsa recipe from a book entitled Canning and Preserving by Linda Ferrari. I checked and you can still buy this book new or used on line. The recipe is very good but I had to do my own tweaking. I looked at canned salsa recipes and studied canning information regarding acidity levels and came up with this recipe which makes 6 to 7 pints.
My Best Canned Salsa
5 1/2 Pounds Plum Tomatoes 
3 Cups Chopped Onion
7 Ounce Can Diced Green Chilis
1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
1/2-1 Jalapeno Pepper, Finely Chopped
2 Cloves of Fresh Minced Garlic
2 Teaspoons Canning Salt
1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
3 Tablespoons Bottled Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup White Vinegar, 5% Acidity
1/2 Cup of Tomato Juice (This can be made from the skins and seeds of the 5 1/2 pounds of tomatoes. Refer to the following video for more information.)

Working in small batches, plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for one minute and then into ice water to loosen skins.
Peel, seed and chop tomatoes into a large bowl or pot. Reserve skins and seeds to boil. Process skins through a food mill and reserve a cup of the juice for the recipe. Compost the skins.
Combine all ingredients and heat until salsa is hot.
Place salsa into hot sterile pint jars and leave 1/2 inch of head space.
Clean jar rims with a damp paper towel.
 Attach lids and rings.
Place in a water bath canner with hot water below 180 degrees and water covering the jars by at least one inch.
Place the lid on the canner and bring to a rolling boil.
 Water bath process for 45 minutes.
Turn off the stove and remove the canner lid.
After 5 minutes, remove the jars and place on a towel in a draft free place. 
Once the jars have cooled for 12 hours, remove the rings and wipe jars with a damp cloth.
Make sure all jars have sealed and store in a cool dry place. 
If a seal has failed, you may reprocess the jar using a new seal or place in the refrigerator for use within a few weeks.
This salsa is fairly mild. If you would like a medium or hot salsa, add more Jalepeno pepper and increase the cayenne pepper to 1 1/4-1 1/2 Teaspoons.
I like to make double batches of this since my family enjoys it so much.

Enjoy and feel free to leave a comment!



14 comments:

  1. I made your recipe my first salsa for canning project, thank you for the post. I love your style and the tricks I learned,

    I will let you know how people respond after it has sat for a few month or two to blend the flavors.

    I am in my second year of preserving. Your video help to take on a big new challenge. I took out one jar without the boiling to use right away. I am just thrilled about my newest success.

    Thanks Again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe looks delish! Is there a certain amount of time that you need to let it sit before eating? How long does the salsa last after being canned?

    I can't wait to try your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and wait a week or two but it tastes pretty good the next day. Under the proper conditions, the salsa can last for several years but it never lasts that long in my house. I think I may have had it for about a year and a half. At the moment, I have 4 jars left from the three or four batches I made last summer.

      Delete
  3. I have your batch in the water bath. It has an excellent taste, I appreciate you sharing it. I've been canning over 30 years now and love to learn new recipe's. I am following your 45 min bath time, I just have never went over 10 min on any water bath. Out of curiosity why do you suggest 45 min? Thank you.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you like the taste of the salsa. Over the years, the canning times have changed for many foods. Timing is based on density of the food in the jar, size of jar being used, acidity levels and altitude. I tweaked a recipe from a 1991 text and 45 min was the time given. I checked the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" and the timing for tomato products and salsas vary for pint jars from 15-45 min. depending on the recipe. Pints of tomato juice are given a 35 min water bath. This text was published in 2006 and is one of the most up to date texts that home canning folks have for reference. Acidity levels in many hybrid tomatoes are much lower today than our what our parents and grandparents canned which lengthens processing times. We also know more about pathogens and the amount of heat required to kill some of those super bugs off. I'm not the expert, but I have seen may different types of bacteria and viruses growing in a dish under the microscope between high school and college classes. Learning how tough they are to kill was more than enough to make me a clean freak in the kitchen and I would rather be safe than sick. Do you remember when it was "safe" too can jelly with paraffin wax? If mold was growing on the top, the USDA said it was safe to scoop that off and eat the remainder. Now we know that mold creates a web and works its way down into the jar and may not be seen by the human eye. Yes, we survived but I don't want to give the pathogens a chance. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this video. I just made 36 cans of this salsa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!
      I have just one thing to say....You go girl!

      Delete
    2. This is my second time making your salsa recipe, I love it, beats buying from a store. Thanks for sharing!.

      Delete
  6. I'm just beginning my canning journey at 29 and I absolutely can't wait to try this! Love the video and thank you for sharing the fruits of your labor with is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just beginning my canning journey at 29 and I absolutely can't wait to try this! Love the video and thank you for sharing the fruits of your labor with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tomatoes take only a short time but other ingredients like onions etc require a longer time.

      Delete
    2. Yes, tomatoes take only a short time but other ingredients like onions etc require a longer time.

      Delete